12 things you didn’t know about Forrest Gump
1. Sally Field, who played Forrest’s mother, is only ten years older than Tom Hanks.
2. The love of Forrest’s life, Jenny, was born on July 16 1945 and she died on March 22 1982
3. Jenny`s surname is Curran, but in the movie it’s never said. You can only read it on Forrest`s letters.
4. Haley Joel Osment made his film debut in this, playing Forrest Junior.
5. Tom Hanks’ younger brother Jim Hanks doubled for him in the wide shots of the running sequences.
6. There was no ball in the Ping-Pong matches scenes; it was entirely CGI.
7. The line Forrest says when his microphone is turned off at the Vietnam rally is: “Sometimes when people go to Vietnam, they go home to their mommas without any legs. Sometimes they don’t go home at all. That’s a bad thing. That’s all I have to say about that.”
8. The bench on which Forrest sat sold at auction in 2013 for $25,000.
9. John Travolta was the first choice to play Forrest but turned the role down. Bill Murray was also considered.
10. Both Tom Hanks’ daughter, Elizabeth, and Robert Zemeckis’ son, Alexander, are seen in the school bus scene. She’s the red-haired girl, he’s the first boy who won’t let Forrest sit down.
11. The Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which was invented for the movie, is now a real restaurant chain with 39 locations around the world.